Friday, March 21, 2008

Childhood Inspirations


I’ll start this blog by tell you a little something about my history. As I’ve had a most interesting 35 years on this planet. Born outside of San Francisco to a multi-ethnic hippie family, I was one of 5 (or more?) children. At age 3 my father moved us all to Thailand where I we lived for the next 10 years, intermittently traveling to destinations like Hong Kong, Malaysia, Tokyo and Burma.


Sounds amazing, and it was, but let’s get a visual here of non-disciplining hippie mom, 5 kids running wild, money always down to the wire, father on the other side of the world wheeling and dealing and yes, making more babies. It was in 5th grade at the International School of Bangkok that I realized I should be a fashion designer; the day I wore a striped skirt with a floral shirt and got laughted at by all the other girls at school. Naturally I vowed to dress them all one day!



Unfortunately our exotic life style in South East Asia would come to a screeching halt when I was 13. Suffice to say that the wheeling’s and dealings of international-jet setting-hippie papa took a turn for the worst. All of the family was displaces back to the US of A. It all gets a little grim at this part, so let’s quit for now and just bask in the sweetness of childhood in the tropics…


Running around in nothing but panties for the heat. Eating exotic fruit like rambutan, durian, papaya and mango daily. Trying and failing again and again to climb coconut trees like the natives men do. Making elegant floating boats out of folded banana leaves. Collecting the little pastel eggs of mosquito eating lizards. Sneaking out the back gates to make friends with poor families living in stilted houses over dirty rivers. Yes, I want to stay right here in mind all day, as I go about the work of my grown-up life…making fashions, an artist expression rooted in all that I am and everywhere that I come from.
















6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I saw you (? Somebody at a SweetSkins booth) at the Saturday Market several years ago and have been admiring your clothes online ever since. I have a hard time spending money on myself - got two growing boys of my own - and also everything you make is so beautiful i can't decide on just one thing! You are amazing and I hope your company grows and grows!

Hey - and also - my husband was born in Bangkok, Thailand to a Thai lady and an Irish man. He attended the international schools in bangkok, Singapore, Philippines, and many other countries. He didn't move to the US until he was 15. He is 36. I wonder if you guys ever crossed paths?

I just was looking around the sweetskins website again today... because we've been in Seattle for a year and just found out we are moving back to Eugene forever. Or at least for a long while! Yay! We have been so homesick for Oregon, and Eugene especially. Anyway - we will look for you at the Saturday Market, and I am hoping that I can talk myself into buying something for myself this time!!

Best to you and your babies... much love and lots of good wishes!!!

.:jennifer:.

March 24, 2008 at 4:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What beautiful, honest and heartfelt writing. I love the pictures too; pieces of a puzzle(for me at least) that tell a story of your amazing journey.

Much love to you and your wonderful family,

R
ps.just in case you need a head's up, Jamaal is in SF now.

April 26, 2008 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger Jewel of the I said...

Lovin' it!
U go gurl~

May 6, 2008 at 12:13 AM  
Blogger jim said...

i loved it mira....i am so lucky to know you....thinking of you puts a smile in my heart...jim

January 20, 2010 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger Brenda's Page said...

You have had a very interesting life Mira, thank those girls for making fun. They have helped you become the person you are today....So Lovely!

February 26, 2010 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger MATRIX said...

How nice of you to sheare this wonderful experiance with us thank you.There are so many nice people in the world now,I feel so happy Thanks again

July 5, 2010 at 6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home